Friday, October 9, 2009

What's cookin, good lookin???

Well, tonight we're going to use one of our freezer meals for dinner! When I cook something the family really likes I usually make at least a double batch or use a recipe that makes a lot of food so I can put enough away for 1-2 other meals! Chicken Pot Pie is one of our family favorites and I think I have enough out in the freezer for like 4 pies and since we had co-op today I don't feel much like cooking so freezer meals are a lifesaver!

Here is the recipe I use for Chicken Pot Pie:
Ingredients--
2 C diced peeled potatoes
1 3/4 C sliced carrots
2/3 C chopped onion
1 C butter, cubed
1 C flour
1 3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp pepper
3 C chicken broth
1 1/2 C milk
4 C cubed cooked chicken
1 C frozen peas
1 C frozen corn
pastry for two double-crust pies (9")

Directions:
1. Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add teh chicken, peas, corn, potatoes and carrots; remove from heat.

Now, for our family this usually makes enough for 2-3 pies and we only need one. At this point I spray non-stick cooking spray in a pie pan and line it with one of the pastry crusts, fill it with the chicken mixture, cover it with the 2nd pastry crust. I use a fork and poke a few holes around the top and seal the edges shut with the crust. Bake at 425* for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

I then let the rest of the chicken mixture that is left in the pan cool down and then label a ziploc freezer (gallon size) bag with the name of the dish and date, fill it up and seal it and toss it in my freezer for another day. You can freeze it for up to 3 months! When you're ready to use the freezer meal, pull it out and let it thaw out and there you have your chicken mixture! It's soooooooo good! I'm really looking forward to dinner tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Looking forward to trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so Yummy ! I cant wait to try this. I am even more excited that it's a freezer meal.

    ReplyDelete