Monday, January 25, 2010

Bath Crayons and Paint


It's kind of a dreary day on the Oregon coast and I wanted to find something fun for the kids and I to do so I looked online and found some recipes for making our own bath crayons and paint! PERFECT! Just as I was getting ready to write the recipe down my wonderful friend, Sara, text me to see what I was doing so I invited her and her 5-year-old daughter, Karis over for a playdate! Let me just warn you...this stuff is MESS-Y!! If you are a neat freak or get anxiety from having any sort of mess...don't try this at home! LOL

The crayons didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped, I think it's definitely one of those recipes that I have to try out a few times in order to get the kinks out but hey, we all had fun so that's what counts!

What you need for bath crayons is:
Two 3.1oz Bars Ivory Soap (all I used was 1 4.5 oz bar)
Cheese Grator
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp Water
2 Tsp Food Coloring
Wax Paper


Here are the directions:
1. Grate the bars of soap using the smallest hole on your cheese grator
2. Place the soap shavings, vegetable oil & water in a saucepan
3. Heat the ingredients on med-low. Stir constantly with a spoon until the soap melts and the mixture is doughy
4. Mix in the food coloring
5. Remove from heat
6. Spoon the soap out of the saucepan and onto a plate or baking pan. Soak the saucepan and spoon in hot water ( do it right away or it will never come clean )
7. When the soap is cool enough to handle , knead it with your hands for aprox. 1 minute
8. Divide the soap into 4 sections ( or 2 sections for chunky crayons )
9. Roll the soap into log shapes, then roll a piece of wax paper around each log
10. Put the crayons into the fridge to harden ( aprox. 1 hour )

Be sure to wash out the bathtub after the kids use this so it doesn't stain.


This is where I got the recipe!

Here are my wonderful assistants kneading the soap mixture and preparing to roll them into little crayon shapes:




Now onto the paint portion of our show! LOL This one was ULTRA, SUPREME messy but Karis kept saying how much fun she was having and that just makes the mess worth it!

What you need:
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup hand/dishsoap
4-5 drops of food color
1 tbsp water

We used a muffin pan for this so we put the cornstarch, soap and food color in each muffin cup, mixed them together. The consistancy is kind of like slime so I used a spatula to scoop it out of the muffin cup and put it into a sandwich bag and then added the water and squished it all together. VIOLA...it's ready to be used!






This would be a great gift to give to friends or kids in your family and I'm pretty certain that next time I won't be using a muffin pan, I'll just mix them in bowls or cups or something so that things aren't spilling over the sides! LOL An adult can make it a lot less messy but the kids have a blast and hey, it's soap so it's easy to clean up! :)

1 comment:

  1. They look like they are having a blast! It is really messy huh? Oh well, they will remember things like this when they are older right?

    ReplyDelete