Thursday, December 17, 2009

The BEST frosting EVER!


The other night our Tiger Cubs celebrated the December birthdays and my wonderful friend Dea (a Tiger Cub mom) made cupcakes. I was at work that evening but when I got home I was surprised to find a cupcake on the stove, saved just for me! Awww....what a sweet hubby! Anyways, as I scarfed the thing down I was just drooling over how yummy the frosting was! Being that it was midnight I opted to wait until the next day to beg Dea for the recipe. She said it's a Wilton recipe so of course I had to whip up a batch!



Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract (I used regular and it was fine)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tbs. milk

*makes about 3 cups of icing

Directions:
Cream shortening and butter together with an electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all mixed together the icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. **For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
*For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
*For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color *Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes

I added food coloring for Christmas baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment